Pages

Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Off into the wild blue yonder

I didn't realize how much I had forgottten about preparing for international travel, so this past week has been somewhat stressful, like:
   What card to use at atm machines?  Not Bank of the West where I bank because they charge a 3% currency conversion fee.  I decuded to use a debit card with a credit union which only charges a 1% cc fee.
   How to get access to client files in case something comes up?  I was going to put them on a usb drive and encrypt the drive.   Easier said than done.   Ended up putting them on Dropbox but had to pay $99 to increase storage capacity for a year.
   How to get data on my android phone?  Fortunately t-mobile just started a plan that features free international data and text.   This only cost me a one time fee of $200 to pay the balance of the phone I got from them in March.
   How to get phone messages?  I signed up for Google voice. If someone needs to reach me and can't email me,  they can call my google voice # 510-995-6407 and leave a message.  I get an email with a transcript of the message with a recording of the message.

Off to SFO: Thanks to frequent flyer miles we are flying business class on British Air from SFO to Heathrow then on to Paris.   I wanted to take full advantage of the BA lounge so we arrived 3.5 hours before our 5 pm flight.  Getting through security was a breeze -I didn't even get a pat down for my metal knee. 

BA lounge: The BA lounge is much nicer than the United lounge at SFO.  Less crowded,  better food and drink, and you can board the plane directly from the lounge.   Here are some photos:

No comments:

Post a Comment