Pages

Saturday, May 22, 2010

May 19 – PARMA TO MALPENSA AIRPORT


Our last meal, lunch, in Parma was a pizza with artichokes, ham and a fried egg

Our last gelato











We spent our last night in a hotel near Malpensa airport.  Ann picked it because it was near the airport, had a shuttle and most importantly, had a restaurant.   Airport hotels are normally nondescript affairs near the airport and freeways, with views of other nondescript hotels, cramped poorly lit rooms and lousy food.  We were pleasantly surprised to find that Hotel Ristorante Cervo was atypical.  It was in a small, quiet community, with large, well lit rooms, and a very good restaurant.

Dinner was excellent: mixed salad, eggplant parmagian, shrimp risotto, tagliatelli with freshly made pesto sauce, assorted grilled meats, French fries and wine.   It was a surprising good last dinner in Italy.

During this 2d week of the trip, for self preservation, my desired approach to eating these dinners with so many delicious dishes was the Cruise ship approach – taste anything that looks good and have another taste if is really good.   In practice, that seldom worked the way it should have.  With a gimpy knee, and a slowing metabolism, I can’t walk enough to work off eating more food than I feel comfortable eating.  When I was younger and more active, these thoughts never even crossed my mind.    Marge and I weighed ourselves the morning after we got back – surprisingly I had lost a pound and even more surprising, Marge gained 2 pounds.

Our flight home was long, but at least the volcano didn’t stop or delay us.  

Marge and I enjoyed the company of family members to celebrate Marge going on Medicare and 25 wonderful (according to Marge) years of marriage enjoying great food & wine in a memorable location.  

I kid Marge a lot, but I realize that I am lucky to have married her.  We have made each other laugh ever since our first phone call over 35 years ago, and we still do.  Like her mom, she is very caring and easy to get along with.  She enabled me to enjoy this trip despite a knee that I will have to replace later this year.

Bob

No comments:

Post a Comment